Dr. Thuan Nguyen
Partner Sustainable Development Practises
Dr. Thuan has 17 years of work experience in international development, hospitality (food and beverage, travelers’ health) and health industry (HIV programing and clinic management). He started my career as a medical trainer, worked exclusive 11 years with large international NGOs and since 2010, undertaken a transformation process toward entrepreneurship.
Royal Tropical Institute Netherlands: Master of Public Health (MPH), Health/Health Care Administration/Management
Dr. Thuan started hiscareer as a medical trainer, worked exclusive 11 years with large international NGOs and since 2010, undertaken a transformation process toward entrepreneurship.
He has developed and won a number of projects including USAID’s $US 25 million grants for RTI, $US 10M for CARE and several other medium grants. He also managed activities under large grants and business investment including US$ 45 M from PACT, US$ 15 from PATH and $US 2 Australian Clinic chain.
Currently, he is the lead consultant for PATH/USAID on the Healthy Market Activities project which he co-managed the launch and implementation od US$ 320,000 fund to increase provision of affordable HIV good and services from private sector in Vietnam. He is co-owing the social enterprise Safe Living company that provides referral services on HIV and travel health care, investing in 2 profitable restaurants in Hanoi and provide key consultancy for NGOs and development firms.
He is known for the leadership in his sectors, result-based management, negotiation, partnership building and communication.
PATH: Innovation Fund Consultant
- Lead the process that successfully launched $US 300,000 seed fund and attracts co-investment from innovative companies
- Key selection panel for innovative products for the fund including the GPS-based smartphone app for condoms sale and test kits; customize One Touch condoms from Thailand for Vietnam market, select and introduce generic version of Truvada (HIV prevention drug) to Vietnam market
- Engage top private sector leaders in supporting innovation including those from IDG Venture, Standard Chartered Bank, Grant Thornton and local business leaders.
Safe Living Company Ltd: Entrepreneur/Founder
- Develop value chain including the products of my 2 co-owned restaurants in Hanoi: Hoi an chicken rice at Comga café and organic food at Boo café at 308 Ba trieu with revenue of USD 350,000/year with products from farmers and ethnic minority people (Dien Bien sticky rice, chicken from Ha Tay)
- Provide referral and direct supply of cutting edge services for tourist in health and tourist target products including honey and coconut oil, travel health check, STD and Post and Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (a new technology approved by FDA).
- Developed inclusive business proposals and trained SME on inclusive business including LGBT issues, disability, people with HIV.
RTI International: Deputy Chief of Party
- Developed US$ 25 million grant from USAID for HIV prevention and treatment services in the community and social enterprise sector;
- Selected by USAID as Deputy director for this project, managed the 2 offices with annual program portfolio at US$ 4.5 million for HIV prevention and care,
- Brokered the success merging of the microfinance for livelihood security project by Chemonics and RTI under USAID fund.
Operation Smile: Country Director
- Managed the two country offices with 10 international and national staff with the annual fund of US$ 1 million;
- Raised fund and manage the construction and operation of the Hue City's Dental hospital which has become.
- Lead PR activities and build Operation Brand that contributed to the worldwide brand to date.
CARE International: Health Co-coordinator
- Developed projects through proposal development for CARE’s major donors
- Developed CRS business with Nike, Timberlands, Reebok;
- Wrote proposal and and implemented the HIV impact assessment for the construction of US$ 220 M Can Tho Bridge by Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC)
- Managed HIV/AIDS, health and social sector with an annual budget of approximately US$3 million and supervised a team of 20 staff;
- Develop and set up the HIV/AIDS program for CARE Nepal including funding proposals for USAID.